Saturday, August 30, 2014

Three Tweets: Totally Unrelated

Twitter is known as a place of very quick, very varied content, and this is true of practically everyone's home page. This is well shown by the three very different tweets I retweeted this week. 

First off was one from my very favorite news account on Twitter, The Economist (@TheEconomist, funnily enough) which I've followed on basically all of my social media. Their posts almost always include graphs or illustrations to help flesh out the 140 characters, allowing it to make a greater impact in less time. For example, this post about the correlation of money and happiness was a good read, but I learned most with just the thumbnail: look at every country on there, and you see that money does indeed buy happiness. That is, until you get to the only truly third-world country on the list, Nigeria. For them, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Telling that the poorest country is the one that least seems to care about money, isn't it? All of that's from one tweet. 

Another short-but-powerful tweet is this one, from a favorite comedian of mine, Conan o'Brien: a post the day after Robin Williams' death about how great of of a comedian the late actor was. In just a few words and one embedded video, the post manages to convey a great deal about Conan: his love of making people laugh, his friendships and relationships in the business, and how much of an impact people can make. Again, one tweet: but a whole lot to learn from nevertheless. 

The final tweet is, perhaps, a little less meaningful. Scratch that, a whole lot less meaningful. It's the Wall Street Journal, in an uncharacteristically light-hearted video, giving an ode to bacon. This works as a very funny video, despite its dialogue or visible humor, because of how out-of-character it seems for the Journal. Besides that, in perfect honesty, I wrote this post at about dinner time, so bacon sort of had an advantage.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Caleb. Mind adding your first or full name somewhere on this blog so we can more easily identify you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed that Dr. Lee. My apologies for taking so long!

      Delete
  2. all of your posts were really interesting! I actually went ahead and followed the economist too after reading this on my personal account, lol. nice work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Caleb; I, too, am a big fan of bacon, and my main interest in social media is bringing bacon into a bigger role in my life!

    ReplyDelete